- The Ajyal Creativity Hub opens with Geekdom and ARC, featuring video game tournaments, exhibitions and performances
- Seven international feature films delight audiences of all ages
Doha, Qatar; 20 November 2019: The Ajyal Creativity Hub opened its doors yesterday at the 7th edition of the Ajyal Film Festival, the annual cinema event hosted by the Doha Film Institute (DFI) held at Katara Cultural Village, delivering a slate of interactive events to the public, including Qatar’s largest pop-culture event, Geekdom, and the ARC storytelling exhibition.
An unmissable celebration of pop-culture, Geekdom, presented in partnership with Qatar National Tourism Council, offers cosplay competitions, video game tournaments, and cult-classic screenings to engage the community. Entrance to the Geekdom pavilion in Katara Buildings 18 and 19 is open to the public.
Made in Qatar returned with a two-part programme of 22 internationally and locally shot shorts, attesting to the ever-expanding influence of our burgeoning film industry, while ARC opened for free public viewing from 10 AM to 10 PM on 19-21 November and 2 PM to 10 PM on 22 November from 10 AM to 10 PM in Katara Building 19, Gallery 1. The multimedia exhibition features eclectic artworks by 19 of Qatar’s most promising artists and creative talents. Visitors can experience the art pieces through three distinct parts— Setup, Confrontation, and Resolution. ARC is a literary term for the path a narrative follows, paying tribute to the fact that every great story relies on a compelling story arc, which serves as a backbone by providing a clear beginning, middle, and end.
The third day of the festival (20 November) continues with a free screening of Spider-Man: Into the Spider Universe (USA/2018) by Bob Persichetti, Peter Ramsey, and Rodney Rothman as part of the Geekdom pavilion at 4 PM at Katara Building 18. A fresh take on the original Spiderman films, the film adds striking animations and limitless possibilities within the remade Spider-Verse. Teen Miles Morales becomes Spiderman and must stop a threat to the entire multiverse. Please note that seating is limited, and the film is accessible for children.
A variety of feature films will be screened throughout Wednesday:
- Winner of The Golden Butterfly for Best Animation at the International Film Festival for Children and Youth 2019 (Isfahan), Jacob, Mimmi and the Talking Dogs (Latvia, Poland/2019) by Edmunds Jansons will be screened at Novo Cinemas, the Pearl at 5.30 PM.
- DFI-supported film To the Ends of The Earth (Japan, Uzbekistan, Qatar/2019) by Kiyoshi Kurosawa is screening at 5.30 PM at VOX Cinemas Doha Festival City. Please not the screening is rated PG-15.
- Winner of the Golden Eye Documentary Prize at the Cannes Film Festival 2019, For Sama (Syria, UK/2019) will screen at Novo Cinemas, the Pearl at 6 PM. Please note that the screening is rated PG-18.
- Amjad Abu Alala’s DFI-supported film You Will Die at Twenty (Sudan, France, Egypt, Germany, Norway, Qatar/2019) will screen at Novo Cinemas, the Pearl at 8.30 PM and is rated PG-15.
- Screening at 8.30 PM at VOX Cinemas Doha Festival City is Sorry We Missed You (UK, France, Belgium/2019) by Ken Loach. The film is rated PG-15.
- Sofía Quirós Ubeda’s Land of Ashes (Costa Rica, Argentina, Chile, France/2019) will screen at 9.00 PM at Novo Cinemas, the Pearl and is rated PG-15.
Tickets for the 7th Ajyal Film Festival are available for purchase at the Ajyal Main Box Office located in Katara Building 10; at the Ajyal Box Office at VOX Cinemas Doha Festival City for screenings taking place at VOX Cinemas; and from the Novo Cinemas Box Office for screenings at Novo Cinemas, the Pearl. For ticket purchase and up-to-date information on the Ajyal Film Festival, please visit:
2019 Ajyal Film Festival’s Official Partners include: Katara Cultural Village – Cultural Partner; Qatar National Tourism Council – Principal Partner; Novo Cinemas, Ooredoo – Strategic Partner, St. Regis Doha – Signature Partner